Re: Reading Or Converting a .DAT file

From: Mark Brown <mbrown_at_picksys.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 07:00:13 -0700

[Personal Opinion]

DOS file extensions were never word of god, but merely suggestions and eye queues. The actual substance or format of the information within the .DAT file may not be compatible with anything. It could be completely proprietary.

On the other hand, it may be simple fixed length "user defined data type". Visual Basic has the ability to open ANY DOS file and let you at least look at it. If you can figure out the format, you can re-format to your hearts content.

Mark

--
Sincerely,

--
Mark Brown
Manager, Continuing Engineering

     "Standards are great! There are so *many* of them to choose from!"