Sql Loader - Inserts/Updates - primary key concerns

From: Bret <bret.hill_at_tstnet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:14:26 -0400

Oracle 8.0.5
I have a large delimited text file that I need to load into a table as fast as possible. The problem is, some of data records will have to update existing database records if the primary key is the same. The duplicated keys will be a small portion of the datafile, so to check every record for existence would slow the process considerably. Here is the logic I would prefer to follow:

insert text record into table
if primary key violated

    update text record with new data.

Is there any way to do this in Sql Loader? Would a trigger be effective?- and would that trigger substantially affect performance? Are there any other Oracle tools that would be better? Loading speed is _very_ important.

Any suggestions or information will be appreciated.

Bret Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 17:14:26 CEST

Original text of this message