Re: Newbie (very newbie) question

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:33:52 +0200

First offcourse, you'll have to put your procedure/function in the database, I hope at least you found that one out ;-) You can run your procedures with: EXEC <procedure_name>; and you can view the results of the functions you created with: SELECT <function_name> FROM DUAL; . The last one can be tricky because Oracle want's you to guarantee that the database will not be updated. In that case you'd have to put your procedures and functions in a package.
I started out the same way as you did, and I advise you to start with a good pl/sql tool, like pl/sql-developer (it's available on the internet, mostly 30-day trial's). With PL/SQL-Dev you can easily write, debug and install packages. Once your package is in the database, you call your procedures with: exec <package_name>.<procedure_name>; and you can look at the results of your functions with a select statement: SELECT <package_name>.<function_name> FROM DUAL; . If you want to use functions in a select then most of the time you'll need to put a PRAGMA RESTRICT_REFERENCES(<function_name> WNDS,WNPS) in your package specification. At first it sounds very difficult, but believe me if you struggle with packages for a day you'll know all about them. A very great book to learn everything about PL/SQL is: "Oracle PL/SQL Programming" by Steve Feuerstein from O'Reilly & Associates. With this book and a good tool you'll be up and running in no time....

Greetings,

Bastiaan Schaap
Desyde Baarn

andreval <andreval_at_ix.netcom.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 37E329B3.481EDDD6_at_ix.netcom.com...