Re: ORACLE STANDBY DATABASE - Please HELP !!!

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:44:32 +0800

Thusha wrote:

> Hi
>
> Could someone please tell me how does the Oracle Standby Database Internally
> works ? During a primary database failure, how does Oracle actually connect
> to Oracles Standby Database ? Does it change the local transaction syntax to
> make it work like a distributed transaction ?
>
> I am doing a research for my studies regarding Oracles Standby Database. So
> I would like to know how does it happen. Because I couldn't find any article
> which describes about how does it work INTERNALLY.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Thusha

Standby database is essentially like doing database recovery but not to the same database...

In normal database recovery, you go back to a backup, restore the files and then apply archive logs to bring the database up to date.

Standy database works in the same way (in fact, many people had their own standy mechanism before oracle "productionised" the scheme)..

For a standby database, you restore the files from a backup of your production database. As the production database generates archive logs, you transfer them over to the server that the standby database is on. The standby database is thus permanently in "recovery" mode always applying the logs as they "arrive". When a disaster occurs, the standby database is opened and thus becomes the production database

As oracle evolves, the feature matures, for example, automatically applying the logs, and being able to query the standby database without breaking its link to the production database, but it still revolves around the mechanism of applaying logs

HTH

Connor McDonald
"These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."