Re: Case Settings in Oracle

From: Mungo Henning <mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:00:20 +0100

Paul Dorsey wrote:

> Craig,
> Sorry, you are out of luck.
> In fact the story gets worse. If you use upper or lower, you will defeat any
> index put on the column, so you will be in full-table-scan land.

That's assuming that the "Upper" or "Lower" is applied to the database column and not to the bit of literal text which the user has typed in. If the table is maintained in strictly upper-case-only fashion, apply "upper" to

the string literal. I guess a "check" constraint on said column wouldn't be a bad idea either (check(name = upper(name)).

HTH Mungo

--
Mungo Henning - it's a daft name but it goes with the face...
mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk.http://www.itacs.strath.ac.uk/