PL/SQL Questions

From: Aik Khoon <panadol_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: 1999/08/03

Hi,

    [Quoted]
  1. For my application end (both VB and Java), besides returning resultsets (from table) using cursors, how could I possibly return values that I defined personally e.g. returning 'doc', c2 records rather than selecting specifically from columns c1 , c2 from table.

    I'm using WinNt Oracle8.

[Quoted] 2. Just to check whether my way of coding PL/SQL statements is correct?

    create or replace package P1 as

      cursor cnC1 is select c1 from tab1;
      type cnC1cur is ref cursor return c1%ROWTYPE;
      function getC1 return cnC1cur;

    end P1;

    create or replace package body P1 as

      function getC1 return cnC1cur
      as
        l_cursor types.cursorType;
      begin
        open l_cursor is select c1 from tab1;
        return l_cursor;
      end;

    end P1;

    My question is whether it is efficient or needed to define the cursor     twice, once in the package header and another time in the function itself.

[Quoted]     Also is using function this way better or using a procedure with IN OUT settings

TIA,
Aik Khoon Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message