Re: connect problem with developer

From: wozi <wozi_at_dhc.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:39:39 -0700

utpal wrote in message <7nm22o$3oj$1_at_news.vsnl.net.in>...
>I have installed oracle8 personal.The problem is that my developer does not
>connect to the database.Also Iam have to versions of sqlplus installed.This
>happened when developer got installed,my earlier sql v8.0.3 works fine,but
>the one installed with developer sql version3 does not connect to the
>database.Developer version is 2.1.
>Also I have been told that oracle 8 gives problems on win98,could the above
>problem be because of this,is there any patch available on net.
>Please help!!!!!!
>Thanking all in advance.

1.Developer uses SQL*Net , NOT Net80. So, make sure that sql*net 2.3.4 is installed. The bequeath protocol allows SQL*Plus 8 to connect locally by bypassing the listener process. However, Dev. needs the listener to connect locally
2. Make sure that you have %oracle_home\network\admin directory 3. You MUST start the listener (TNSLSNR80.EXE) after the database is started 4 Use the SQL*NET Easy config utility to create a new service. In my case, I simply deleted the exisiting 'ORCL' service and created a new one. when creating a new service, do not specify Bequeath as the protocol. Select TCP/IP instead. Also, you will need to provide the TCP/IP host name which is the computer name where oracle is installed.

Once done, you should be able to connect from Sql*plus 3.3 as well as Developer by specifying user name, password, AND the service name. You cannot leave the connect string blank.

  1. Start Personal Oracle Database
  2. Then, I go to Dos prompt and type lsnrctl80.exe
  3. Then, I type START listener should be up and running! In my case, I have the following files tnsnames.ora,sqlnet.ora & listener.ora in C:\orawin95\network\admin Also, in the registery, there be an entry like net20=C:\orawin95\network