Re: OAS 4.0.7 ORB not starting

From: Jack Silvia <jsilvia_at_amaltd.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:03:08 -0400

In this continuing saga, I found (and followed) these instructions in the installation release notes:

For this configuration to work, you must install the products in the following order:
1. Install Oracle8 Enterprise Edition 8.0.5.0.0 2. Install Oracle Application Server 4.0.7. See section 2.2.2 'Required Oracle Application Server Release', for more information.
3. Install Oracle Developer 6.0.
4. Explicitly, reinstall the Required Support Files(RSF) from the Oracle8 8.0.5.

2.3.2
WindowsNT Service Pack 4
In Service Pack 4, there was a change in the default behavior of NT's DuplicateHandle system library routine. Developer Server uses this operating system routine to pass a socket handle between the Forms Listener and the individual runtime engines. The change in behavior of the DuplicateHandle routine causes this handoff to fail. Oracle has made a change to the arguments which are passed into this NT library routine to work around the problem introduced in Service Pack 4. This patch is available in the extras directory on the Oracle Developer 6.0 CD. To install this patch, copy the dll file from the Extras directory, and paste this file into ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.
Oracle will continue to work closely with Microsoft to identify a fix to Service Pack 4 which will make the change in Oracle Developer unnecessary. Until a Microsoft fix is available, Oracle will continue to support, maintain, and ship the patch applied to Oracle Developer. There are no known problems or loss of functionality associated with using this patch.

Although the instructions don't quite identify what the .dll file is, I found /extras/oas40/libwrbrapi40.dll which seemed like a likely candidate.

Unfortunate bottom line is that doing all of the above did not result in an ORB that would start. You referenced a zip file containing the solution. Could you email it to me at jsilvia_at_amaltd.com?

Thanks
Jack