Re: Need advice on SQL*Plus Command - ACCEPT

From: cecil stradford <cstradford_at_assetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:18:17 -0400

Kate, try this as a test and see if this is getting you in the ballpark of where you are trying to be.  If so, modify to actually "do something" with the variable besides display it.  And, good luck!

set serveroutput on head off verify off
PROMPT Please enter the customer's name :
accept v_cust_name
select '&v_cust_name' || ' ' || 'is your ACCEPTED name' from dual;
set serveroutput off head on verify on

CS jr.

Kate <iktsui_at_learn.senecac.on.ca> wrote in message news:379A4BF8.ACD0BB4D_at_learn.senecac.on.ca...
Thanks Sybrand.

Kate

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

You need to 'escape' them. Put an extra quote before every quote and a double quote before every double quote Hth,Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
Kate <iktsui_at_learn.senecac.on.ca> wrote in message news:379A28FC.49CAACB3_at_learn.senecac.on.ca...Hi,

I'm a college student now taking an Oracle course, and I have a problem in displaying the following sentence using ACCEPT command : -
        Please enter the customer's name :

I cannot use single quote/apostrophe, nor double quotes in the prompt.

Can anyone please help me?  Thanks

Kate