Oracle 8, Developer 2000, Environments

From: bmccleskey <anonymous_at_web.remarq.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 09:08:14 -0800

The project upon which I am working is using the Oracle 8 and the Developer 2000 Tools to develop forms that will be deployed as a "web" application (a thin client). We have the typical "stages" of development, each requiring a unique environment (e.g. development, integration testing, system testing, etc).

We have found it simple to allow a developer to switch from environment to environment when building a traditional client-server application (fat client) with Developer 2000. He/She simply changes the path which is used to locate the client-side executables (a change to the window's registry). Therefore, one group of deveopers/testers may work using the "development" version of the forms while, at the same time, a second team tests using a different "version". Accomplishing this capability when developing a web application does not seem to be quite so easy.

To change, for example, from the "system test" version of the application to the "integration" version, the registry of the web application server must be changed. Since (for good reason) the server can hold only one "registry" for the executable, it appers a given application server may support only one "version" of the forms at one time (i.e. I cannot, on one applicaiton server, run the "system test" version and the "integration" version of the application concurrently).

I feel certain there must be something we are overlooking. If my previous statement is true, we will need three servers in order to support three development environments. Other ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

  • Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network * The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!