Re: Application security question

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:43:49 -0400

Hi,

    You shouldn't make the RDBMS responsible for physical security. The problem you describe can be resolved by making and enforcing rules that no terminals/PCs be left logged in to the database unless the person assigned the terminal or PC is at the keyboard.

    If management persists in wanting Oracle to assume the role of Rent-a-Cop you could always write routines in PL/SQL that would access the data only after checking the user id and password. In order to make this work you will probably have to limit the users to access only through views and not let them know the names of the underlying tables and columns.

    Of course you could always use Trusted Oracle, but I am not sure that Trusted Oracle or even a provably secure operating system will permit the type of checking you are seeking.

    The least expensive solution is to establish and enforce an access policy. After all if it is good enough for the intelligence community, it should be good enough for anyone -- although you can't throw people in jail for security violations and they can.

regards
Jerry Gitomer