From: Vernon Adams <vernon_at_ezgov.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:23:20 -0400

I am trying to load some data into an Oracle database using SQL*Loader.

The data came originally form a MVS mainframe and I am loading it on a Sun box.

Some of the data is Zoned Decimal data with an embedded trailing sign. The Loader documentation indicates that it can deal with this data, but it is not doing so.

When I have negative numbers they end in either '{' or 'A' - 'I'. I recognized that the EBCDIC sequence is not the same as the ASCII sequence. We wrote an awk script to translate the '{' to '_at_' on the assumption that this would give the number the same bit pattern as all the others.

I have defined the field in the control file as:

    EXAMT position(240:248) ZONED(9,2) NULLIF (EXEMPTAMT=BLANKS),

Any records with a negative number are failing.

This is a process we will be running frequently.

Can anyone tell me how embedded signs are stored ala Oracle? Am I correct in assuming that SQL*Loader should be capable of handling this data or should we just find an alternative solution?

Thanks,
Vernon Adams Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 17:23:20 CEST

Original text of this message