Website with free PL/SQL utilities

From: Scott McKellar <mck9_at_swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:34:15 -0500

I have just put up a website with some free utilities for analyzing or managing PL/SQL source code. See:

        http://home.swbell.net/mck9/pls/

These utilities are available in the form of portable C source code, released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

The utilities currently available include:

        ttok -- a demo and testbed for the tokenizer
                (see below)

        plscap -- changes reserved words to upper case,
                and identifiers to lower case

        plsenull -- scans PL/SQL code for attempts to
                test for equality or inequality to NULL

	plsqlf -- scans PL/SQL for string and character
		literals containing embedded line feeds

These tools, while useful, are admittedly not terribly impressive. What's more important is that they are based on plstok, a tokenizer or lexical analyzer for PL/SQL source code. You can incorporate plstok into other tools of your own devising. Plstok can serve as a basis for open software for PL/SQL developers, to be collectively maintained and enhanced by its users.

I plan to use plstok to build a PL/SQL beautifier, to impose consistent use of indentation and other white space. Other possible uses include a cross-reference generator and a lint-like tool to flag dubious code.

I invite you to try out these programs and provide me with some feedback about, for example:

  1. The accuracy of the tokenizing
  2. Non-portable or dubious aspects of the C code
  3. Bugs or other opportunities for improvement
  4. Other possible uses for the tokenizer

Scott McKellar mck9_at_swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/mck9/pls/ Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 04:34:15 CEST

Original text of this message