Re: Why sequence jumps?

From: Mungo Henning <mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:57:14 +0100

Wassim wrote:

> create sequence mvt_seq
> start with 0
> increment by 1
> nomaxvalue
> minvalue 0
> nocycle
> order (cos order is important for me!)

[Quoted] If you can't tolerate gaps in a sequence, don't use oracle sequences! Look up the option "nocache" on the create sequence command.
What if ten people were sharing the same sequence number to insert records into a table, and after inserting a single record one person decided to rollback that insert? What would happen to the sequence number if the next four values had already been given out?

Hence sequence does not infer "consecutive sequence".

HTH Mungo Henning

--
Mungo Henning - it's a daft name but it goes with the face...
mungoh_at_itacs.strath.ac.uk.http://www.itacs.strath.ac.uk/