Using sqlldr chews up extra space?

From: Rick Osterberg <osterber_at_fas.harvard.edu>
Date: 25 Jun 1999 19:44:04 GMT

Situation:
[Quoted] Digital Unix 4.0x, Oracle 8.0.5. I'm using sqlldr to load in a ~25000 record text dump file into a database.

SQL> drop table userlist
SQL> create table userlist (....)
<run sqlldr>

SQL> select count(*) from userlist
returns about 25,000 (which is correct)
SQL> select bytes from user_segments where segment_name = 'USERLIST' returns about 16 megs
<run sqlldr again>

SQL> select count(*) from userlist
returns about 25,000 (still correct)
SQL> select bytes from user_segments where segment_name = 'USERLIST' returns about 32 megs

The .ctl file for the load specifies
DIRECT=TRUE
UNRECOVERABLE
REPLACE But somehow, if I do the load twice in a row, the table size doubles, even [Quoted] though the same data is in there. Anyone have any ideas why this happens?

-Rick

[Quoted] |                 Rick Osterberg   osterber_at_fas.harvard.edu                |