Re: TNS could not resolve service name? how to solve it?

From: Roland Schaar <rschaar_at_gosch.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:33:15 +0200

Hi william,
did you configure the database connection in the file TNSNAMES.ORA at the client?

When you try to connect the client looks into the file TNSNAMES.ORA and looks for the connect string. There it will find the address of the machine, the port number of the listener and the name of the instance. You can check it with the command
tnsping xxxxx ... where xxxx is the connect string. e.g
H:\>tnsping wien

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production on 24-JUN-99

 21:28:58

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1995. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=TCP.world)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=hp01)(Po

rt=1526))
OK (570 msec)

You can manually edit the file or use the tool "SQL-NET Easy Configuration".

For your Database you should find something like that: WIEN.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = TCP.world)