Re: Question on master-detail form!!!!

From: Geoff White <whiteg_at_ccis.adisys.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:09:55 +0800

Ashok K Solipuram wrote:

> Hi,
> I created Master_detail form.The details are as follows:
>
> <snipped due to NNTP limit>

> Can anyone tell me,is there way to insert detail record for already
> existing master record other than querying and inserting detail record.

Have a look at Deferred and Automatic Query in the help. These properties relate to the Relation created between the Master-Detail. These may help you. You will have to query the master block first. If you enter data into an empty block Forms automatically sets the form status to 'NEW'. To avoid this I usually supply a find ability using an LOV.

> can anyone tell me how to populate details automically if it exists for
> the master record when we enter the master item without manually
> executing the query in detail block.

An ordinary (default) relationship between master and detail will do this. When you query the master block for the user's choice of master record the detail will be queried as well.

If you require any further info on this subject feel free to email me.

HTH
Geoff