Re: What book for PL/SQL ?

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 23:46:34 GMT

I agree that Scott's 2nd edition (Oracle Press) is a good book. But I have to say that I respect Steve's PL/SQL book (O'Reilly) as one of the finest books on programming ever written. The reason that it is longer and wordier is that it covers more about programming style than a simple reference text. If you are already a perfect programmer and are not interested in anyone's opinon about how a program should be written, then all you need is the language reference. However, I think we could all benefit from reading about how Steve thinks programming should be done. This is true even though I disagree with many of his recommendations. At least he got me to ask some questions that I never would have otherwise with respect to good programming practice.

--
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.