Forms 4.5 Console window's Message_line

From: <sdattatri_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 05:25:17 GMT

Hi,
A long question, thanks for your patience.

One requirement from the customer has been that they do not want to see the console window for the error messages and hints and we should provide a status field at the bottom of each window that shows the hint and error messages.

We have done this as follows.

For Messages:
Use a function called p_message(message string) which finds the current window's status field and fills it up with the message string.

For hints:
We have used a function similar to p_message called p_hint which is called in every when_new_item_instance which extracts the cursor_item's hint and displays it in the message field.

Problem :

When p_message is called and immediately there is a go_item(), then the message is overridden by the hint. (This behaviour is not seen in the console's message_line - Forms 4.5 intelligently suppresses the hint until such time that the user presses tab, arrow keys, etc.)

In order to solve this problem, we set a global variable in p_message that suppressed the subsequent hint message.

Now we have another problem because of this:

When a when validate fails, we display something like "invalid value. FIND Available". Then the user enters the correct value and moves to the next field. Because p_hint is suppressed now, [Quoted] the hint does not come and it still says "invalid value...". This can be quite misleading to the user.

CAn anyone tell me how to get around this problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Sanjay
sdattatri_at_vsnl.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
[Quoted] Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sat Jun 19 1999 - 07:25:17 CEST

Original text of this message