Re: PL/SQL Cartridge Stateless ?

From: Jan Grootveld <jan.grootveld_at_home_at_gironet.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 01:05:18 +0200

larry_xu_at_ibm.net heeft geschreven in bericht <375994cf_at_news1.us.ibm.net>...
>Hi
>
>I'm looking for a forum for Oracle Application Server. Can anybody with
>hands-on experience on PL/SQL Cartridge to clarify some of the concept
>regarding the PL/SQL cartridge.
>
>1. Is PL/SQL cartridge stateless by definition?
>Even you try to set min instance > 0 and you won't actually have a session.
>
>2. If point 1 is correct then, Is following description of
>PL/SQL cartridge TRUE?
>
>Once WRB dispatched the request to PL/SQL Cartridge,
>Cartridge located the DAD and did :
>
>a. Connect the database
>b. Exec the procedure and generate the HTML
>c. DISCONNECT FROM DATABASE IMMEDIATELY
>
>That simply means every request need at least a pair of
>Connection/disconnection. Will this overload the server ?
>
>Two OAS books and Oracle document did not explain this clearly. some web
sit
>even explain it in just opposite
>http://www.customdb.com/ora_cartridge_facts.html )
>"PL/SQL cartridge provides declarative transactions, persistent connections
>where packages can hold a state, cursors remain open"
>
>Any comment ?
>
>Larry

The cartridges are loaded as much as needed but at least min. instance times. The cartridge is stateless.

However, if you install the (separate) transaction service, transactions that span multiple http requests can be handled. This implies a sort of state.

www.olab.com should contain more information regarding transactions. Received on Fri Jun 11 1999 - 01:05:18 CEST

Original text of this message