WebDB & Oracle8i Installation

From: <yoraf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 15:57:48 GMT

After several weeks of hard work I managed to install both Oracle8i and Oracle WebDB on the same NT4 Server.

FYI, there are several little tricks the guys at oracle forgot to mention in the readme files.

  1. Do not try to install the WebDB into the same oracle home. It will just KILL your 8i installation at once and destroy the oracle registry keys. INSTALL WEBDB IN ITS OWN ORACLE HOME - Why not use "..\Oracle\WebDB" for example.
  2. After installing it (in its OWN oracle home) you should create an alias to it in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. Since I am far from being a DBA, I just copy the tnsnames.ora file from the oracle8i home (under ..\ora8i\network\admin) to the WebDB home (under ..\net80\admin).
  3. Since the 8i and 8 version are somewhat different, you must also make a small change to the SQLNET.ORA file in the WebDB home and define the "names.default_domain = " value to the domain name you installed oracle8i to (take a look at the SQLNET.ORA file found in the oracle8i home directory.

After I changed both SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA and cleaned my NT registry) It works GREAT.

There is one last thing I didn't manage to figure out. I want to run the WebDB with IIS4 as listenet. The manual explains I should simply copy wdbcgi.exe and wdbcgiw to the scripts directory of IIS.
It took some effort to find wdbcgi.exe on the Installation CD. But Where the hell did they hide the wdbcgiw file ?????

Good Luck everyone and be carefull when
installing this Wonderfull Oracle Tool.

Yoram
yoraf_at_hotmail.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sat Jun 05 1999 - 17:57:48 CEST

Original text of this message