Configuring Veritas Quick I/O & Oracle 8

From: Herbert Zarb <herbert.zarb_at_bov.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 08:41:53 +0200

Hi,

We are currently performing a number of tests to evaluate the viability of using Veritas Quick I/O instead of raw devices for our Oracle databases. Our system is an SUN Enterprise 4500, with Solaris 2.6 and Oracle 8.0.5. We tried a long DSS process several times. Whilst using normal UNIX UFS filesystems for the data files, this process took around 13 hours to complete. However, when we retried the test using Veritas file systems and Quick I/O, it is taking MUCH longer - as a matter of fact it's been going on for the last 28 hours and it has not completed yet. Also, we had tried the run using raw devices and this took around 40 hours to complete - initially we discarded this result but now it is starting to look less unrealistic.

From the UNIX side of it, there does not seem to be any particular re-tuning to be done when using Veritas file systems & Quick I/O (neither when using raw devices if we come to that). Hence I am suspecting that it is either the type of test being done which is accentuating the benefits of normal file systems over direct I/O to files, or that there is some Oracle tuneables that have not been properly set.
I would really appreciate any help or advice regarding the matter.

Herbert

PS. We've been reading a lot about Veritas with Quick I/O providing the same performance as raw. I'd like comments about that as well please <G>. Received on Sat May 15 1999 - 08:41:53 CEST

Original text of this message