Connecting Forms4.5 to Personal Oracle8 on Win98 OS

From: Rick Spangenberg <rls_at_itweb.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:09:36 GMT

InfoTech Forums: Oracle User's Discussion Forum: Oracle Tools: Connecting Forms4.5 to Personal Oracle8 on Win98 OS

Use this link to reply directly to the discussion group: http://www.itweb.com/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?60/74

By SUNDEEP on Thursday, May 13, 1999 - 08:42 pm:

 H1 !

I faced the same problem when I installed P.O. 8 & Dev 2000 under a windows 98 operating system. on the same machine.

If that is the case, then simply create a new service & listener using ORACLE NET8 assistant and also create a ODBC USER DSN linking it to the service name you created.

Now before trying to connect to the PO 8 data base, start the listener.

FROM the dos(command) prpmt type lsnrctl80 start (specify the listener name you gave to yr listener)

Now in developer/2000 form, give the user name as  scott password tiger and database as ODBC:( specify the name of the userdsn file name assigned by you)

It should now connect to the PO 8 database.

If it is not running then do a odbc test to check whether it is connecting from the odbc and also check whether the service name is connecting at the Net8 assistant level. You select the service name in the services node and in the submenu select tools > test connection. Be sure yr listener is running.

The only problem with this is that you are using a circuitious route to connect to the databse.

Normally, it should not be necessary to go via odbc to connect to the oracle database as Dev/2000 and PO 8 are oracle products.

But then till someone posts a better method, I gues this is a feasible solution.

If you are still not clear, then leave a message on this.

Use this link to reply directly to the discussion group: http://www.itweb.com/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?60/74 Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 21:09:36 CEST

Original text of this message