Re: ERWin creates table when it should alter table

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 02:16:39 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:30:16 GMT, yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>In ERWin, I reverse-engineer a fairly complex database. Add some columns to a
>table. Alter database. It stops at an error "create table XXX... Error: that
>table already exists". But I simply add columns to it and wish to see "alter
>table add mycolumn".

Be VERY careful when using Erwin to modify your database. NEVER let it automatically run the update script that it generates when you do a complete compare. I don't know about your specific problem, but I've used Erwin a lot on a recent project, and I always had problems with it. I quickly got to the point where I saved the Erwin generated script to a SQL file, and then I reviewed it thoroughly before applying it to the database.

Jonathan Received on Sat May 01 1999 - 04:16:39 CEST

Original text of this message