Disaster Recovery

From: Gary Murphy <grmurphy_at_newfoundlandpower.com>
Date: 12 Apr 1999 19:55:45 GMT

Hi,

I am interested in hearing what other oracle users are doing for disaster recovery of there oracle databases. We have a large customer services database that runs 24x7 which is criteral to our business functions. We perform daily hot backups of this database (backups are stored on disk and on tape).

We currently have an offsite disaster area which contains hardware and software identical to our production machine.

Our current disaster recovery plan requires 24 hours from crash to recovery. Our basic recovery plan is to recreate the database on our disaster machine from tape backups (tablespaces) and applying archive logs.

We need to reduce the recovery time significantly.

Some specs on our site are:

      vms alpha servers, oracle7.3

From my research the following tools seem to be oracle solutions to disaster recover:

parallel server, standby databases, replication.

Are there other options? (disk mirroring, volume shadowing?)

If any one is using standby databases, parallel server, replication or something different for disaster recovery purposes I would be interested in hearing what you have to say.

My email address is :grmurphy_at_newfoundlandpower.com

Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Apr 12 1999 - 21:55:45 CEST

Original text of this message