Re: Menu Driven Applications in Designer/Developer 2000

From: Hans van Dam <D12P.DBA_at_worldonline.nl>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 08:15:35 GMT

Hi Justine,

I have had numerous problems in developing with Oracle tools. The bottom line is that Oracle DBMS is just fine and you can use Designer to design whatever you want. You can even generate DDL-scripts for creating and maintaining your Databases.

If you want programs which apply to the following specifications and if you have the time to try and try again and finally get it right then you should use Oracle products for programming:

-	resource-consuming
-	slow
-	a GUI that looks like its coming from the stone age
-	pre-compiled (unreadable) code-libraries

Oracle Developer is just terrible in comparison with other Visual development tools.

Oracle Designer lets you generate running applications but it's very difficult to implement all the functionality you need and even harder to get the GUI you want. Generally the result is much like a character-based interface that's converted to a GUI.

Maybe the latest versions are better, but that also applies to the latest versions of other products. Oracle is a database-product and nothing more. Everything around it is just a way to get more grip on the consumer-market. So if you have the choice you better get a real application-development tool like Delphi, Visual Basic or whatever but do NOT use Designer/Developer to design menu driven apps!

Hans van Dam