Re: identifying variable declaration within PL/SQL

From: Ingo Peters <Ingo_Peters_at_ott.lgs.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:44:15 GMT

Not a bad thought. I certainly have never used the VSIZE function. However, I found 2 problems with this:

PLS-00204: function or pseudo-column 'VSIZE' may be used inside a SQL statement only

This means that I can't use it in straight old PL/SQL.
Furthermore, the function only returns the actual number of bytes used in storage -- it does not return the declared length.

Ingo

Marc Mazerolle wrote:

Would this work ?if length(line_of_text) > vsize(customer_rec.line_storage)