Re: Connecting Form To Multiple Servers

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 25 Mar 1999 05:03:15 GMT

>We will be (over the next few years) migrating production applications from
>a UniData - Unibasic (PIC) environment on a Unix server to Oracle on a Unix
>server. I am able to create a Developer 2K form which can access data on the
>UniData server and I can create a Developer 2K form (obviously) which can
>access the new Oralce server but I don't seem to be able to create one
>Developer 2K form which can access both servers at the same time. I am able
>to do this using MS Visual Basic 6.x however.
>It seems that Developer 2K needs to log off one server and then log onto the
>second sever. Is there a way to have two (or more) concurrent connections to
>different servers?
>
>Thanks,
>KM

I don't know if you can create a DBLINK to the UniData server, but if you can, create a DBLINK, and a synonym to it. Then you can be connected to both DBs simultaneously.

I vaguely recall that there are some issues about updating across DB LINKS, but they may have been resolved with Oracle8.

Hope that helps
Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 06:03:15 CET

Original text of this message