Re: Client Server and Access

From: Chris McFadden <cmcfadde_at_mitretek.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:29:46 -0500

MS Access will send as much processing to the server as possible. It will convert your query to an Oracle query and send this to the server and only receive the results. But if you have Access specific functions or operations in your query Access will have to retrieve the component result sets and then perform some or all of the query locally.

Chris

gerard wrote:

> If I have a linked table to an Oracle server via ODBC
> and run a select/update query on the table, does Access send the query
> to the server for execution ie true client/server with the network
> only carrying the result ?
>
> If it doesn't do this then using Oracle as a backend will not improve
> network performance ?
>
> I find the documentation about this a little sketchy.
>
> thanks in anticipation

Chris