Re: Does anyone know how to log-off from a protected Webserver document

From: Jeff Kalchik <jeff_kalchik_at_spam-me-not.mw.3com.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:03:10 GMT

[Quoted] On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:39:00 +0100, Ingo Etienne <ingo_etienne_at_semantec.de> wrote:

>Hi Maarten,
>
>as far as I know this is not possible due to the fact that the browser
>actually caches your login and sends it to the server each time it is
>requested.
>But if you find a solution tell it to this newsgroup !
>
>Regards
>Ingo
>

>Maarten Scharroo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Protecting a Webserver document with username/password can be easily
>> achieved. However I want to know how I can "log-off" without having to
>> close down the Webbrowser.
>>
>> Maarten Scharroo

Actually, there is a solution.... the web server has to return an error back to the browser indicating that the authorization has failed. This will change the cached info. I know it can be forced using Apache; I don't know about OAS/WAS.

Do a search on comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix. It's discussed on a fairly regular basis.

Jeff Kalchik
Views expressed are my own, not my employers. Received on Tue Feb 23 1999 - 00:03:10 CET

Original text of this message