Re: Advice on building a Visual C++ front end to Oracle

From: <scudderfish_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:48:14 GMT

In article <369C39EC.F84A5452_at_dsint.com>,   Jon.Hujsak_at_dsint.com wrote:
> You might also consider a Java user interface using Oracle's thin JDBC
> driver. We have had very good success using this development path with
> Oracle 7.3, 8.0 and Lite back ends. We also found lifecycle cost to be
> lower in Java than C++. IDE used was Symantec Visual Cafe 2.5, 3.0.
>
> --Jon
> DSIC
>
> Ed and Susan Crotty wrote:
>
> > Borland C++ Builder (like Delphi, but C++ instead of Pascal) is
> > Soooooooooooooooo much easier to use for database apps -
> >
> > Phill Edwards wrote:
> >
> > > We are considering building a Visual C++ GUI which will talk to an Oracle
7
> > > or 8 backend database. Does anyone have any experience of doing this, or
> > > know where to find some docco on it?
> > >
> > > Any gotchas, tips, advice etc would be greatly appreciated. In particular,
> > > what Windows 95/98 ODBC driver do you recommend and what are its
> > > limitations? Is it worth trying to build lots of nice generic packages to
do
> > > the DML or does that make everything too hard to deal with in Visual C++?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > -- Phill --

Don't discount C++ though as the OO4O classes make the db stuff almost as easy as VB. This also negates the need to mess around with ODBC. THe only gotcha is that the class library does not support LOB type fields in Oracle8.  The new beta of OO4O does, but the C++ class library has not been updated, so a little more work is needed. If you are sticking to Oracle7 features, give it some serious thought.

Regards,
Dave