odbc,oracle , HELP !!!

From: <fm_at_klaatu.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:44:56 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am trying to write a Visual C++ application that will connect to a remote oracle database (called dbserv.csc.umd.edu which worked fine from a java application) from a windows environment. I have used the server name as stated in the tnsnames.ora file on the oracle side. I have also installed oracle 8.0.4 I am guessing the client only (since it does not give me any server options). This I got to get the SQL*Net Client. I have NO idea how to [Quoted] set up the ODBC part to get the connection to working. Over a week, I have had various erros amoung which some are: - ORA-12154:TNS Could not resolve service name.Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed. - [Microsoft][ODBC driver for [Quoted] Oracle][Oracle]ORA-01017:invalid username/password;logon denied [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Driver's SQLSetConnetAttr failed

and many others.

This is what is in the tnsnames.ora file: NR424 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(Key = NR424))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dbserv.csc)(PORT = 1521))
    )
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = NR424))

  )

How to I get here using what, in ODBC Admin, what information should I put in user DSN, System DSN, File DSN ......? Which Driver should I choose, Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, Oracle, Oracle ODBC, [Quoted] Oracle ODBC driver for RDB

Could anyone PLEASE tell me how to get this connection to work. Please note I [Quoted] have windows NT workstation, SLQ*Net Client (which I don't know how to use). [Quoted] Please e-mail me at fm_at_klaatu.umd.edu. Farooq