Re: Forms 5.0 PROBLEM...

From: Allan Hicks <ahicks_at_netdepot.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 13:06:09 -0500

Hello Tom,

    I'm not sure that I'm following you. This is what I think you said:

You have form A1 (where 1 is the instance of the form). Form A1 launches form B1 and the user tells B1 to do something and calls new_form whichs creates form A2 (the second instance of A). What I didn't hear (or see) you saying was when do the forms terminate. Each instance of each form will take some of your resources. If A1 creates B1 and B1 creates A2 and A2 creates B2 then eventually, you will take the system down.

Memory                           Action
A1                                    A1 calls new_form B1
A1,B1                              B1 calls new_form A2
A1,A2,B1                        A2 calls new_form B2
A1,A2,B1,B2

Instead of creating a new A from B, you need to transfer control or focus back to A1 or have A1 die when B1 is spawned.

Purhaps, instead of call new_form, you should call run_form from the A instance. You will still pile up B instances until they terminate, but you won't be piling up A instances that may not go away.

I hope that this helped,
Allan