Re: Oracle Software and Windows 98?

From: David Lord <lordd_at_csi.com>
Date: 1998/12/18

Interesting comment. More cynically, Oracle tended to abandon support for products that are difficult to migrate, or more offen introduce new versions that are not backwardly compatible.

For example, it seems OK to have to run and old legacy Forms 3.0 applications when it is entirely based on the server (for example HP UX), but not for client-server legacy systems, where this is not OK.

Do you guys realise that no charge upgrades does not equal no cost upgrades?

Forms 3.0 to Forms 4.5 is a big deal and a set of free CDs does not cut the mustard. It's pretty poor to say that if you want to improve the database (migrating from 7.2.2.4 to 7.3.4 for example) that you must upgrade your forms applications as well, because we do want to support SQL*Net 1.1 anymore AND it's too difficult to make Forms 3.0 work with SQL*Net 2.0 on Microsoft based clients. (But we will do it for UNIX non client server architecture).

I know that you can't support old stuff for ever but I do not believe that Oracle provides an acceptable migration path for Microsoft client server based users. Forget all the crap about NT vs UNIX. It's pretty clear that Oracle do not treat Mircosoft OS based software with the same respect and attention as those based on UNIX. Rant rant rant.....

Alex J wrote in message <75ccbo$a0i0$1_at_newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>...

>Andy Groves wrote in message <36759DCB.9D3059FE_at_ataustralia.com.au>...
>>You guys are really cynical. Oracle has supported a free migration from
 DOS to