Re: Oracle reports: linked queries

From: Robin Quasebarth <robinq_at_data-pointnospam.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 10:26:21 +0000

[Quoted] By using independent queries and joining them you gain the ability to have each group/query behave differently on the layout. Such as.... if you want the first group to repeat 'down' and the next group to repeat 'across and then down.'

Did you include your 'order by' in you query? Remember that your break groups effect your sort order also. Also, having independent queries can resolve the need to have outer joins on table that are 'outer joined' (which [Quoted] causes an error) in the one query. Each query group will have its own order. If an outer query needs to order according to columns in the first query you should include a reference to that table in the second query even though you may not redisplay those columns on your layout.

When I created a transcript for a university I used 43 queries that reference 90 tables or view and the whole thing fit on one page and was quite amazing to have each area such as 'Coursework Completed', 'Coursework in Progress', 'Attributes for Coursework Completed', 'Computer Competency Requirements Status' ,'Langueage Requirement Status', etc, each have their own behavior on the layout. It ran very fast, also. rq -- to resond by e-mail remove nospam from e-mail address.