Re: problems with RRRR format

From: David K. Van Zandt <dvanzandt_at_iquest.net>
Date: 1998/11/19

A couple of small points to clarify: the variable for NLS_DATE_FORMAT should always be defined within the valid choices according to the NLS_LANGUAGE you've selected. NLS values may be set at database-creation time; at instance-mount time (using INIT.ORA); or for the duration of the current session.

[Quoted] For the "AMERICAN" language settings, with apologies to Tommy, the remediated year value is valid in both two-byte and four-byte templates. Remember that in Oracle RDBMS, the DATE datatype is actually a "masked" varchar type -- the two vs. four display is simply a view of the underlying data.

How this sliding-window date format "interprets" the two-byte display is dependent upon the SYSDATE value. The "implied" century columns are interpreted one way for system dates in this century, but that shifts once the system date rolls over.

Of course, RTFM for specifics.<grin>

Food for thought -- why isn't anyone talking about the issue that "compliant" systems cannot fix badly written source code?

JMTC,
Dave