Re: Verifying data entered by re-punching

From: <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:24:26 GMT

Your punch/verify operation could be accomplished on a single form, with some special PL/SQL coding. The form could be used to insert new records repeatedly, or to look up the same record once the second entry by the verification operator had been entered.

The first pass would insert the data into a table, the second verification pass would retrieve the original record from the table and compare every item entered. You could put a checkbox on the form to indicate which mode (insert or verify) it was running in.

But backing up, the two-person "punch/verify" system is pretty labor intensive -- you have someone spending time to fill out a form, and then two people to read the form and enter it into the computer. I think most places try to move the data entry point to the information source, completely bypassing the paper form and the punch/verify steps. But maybe your system wouldn't accommodate that.