Re: Oracle Report 3.0 Character Mode Printing

From: Shawn Baker <smbaker_at_cat.e-mail.NOSPAM.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:44:57 -0800

I have found it quite tricky getting the grid to work well for character mode. After much experimentation, I now work with the following parameters:

Use Size 10 Courier New font. This gives you 12 characters per inch horizontally.
Figure 6 lines per inch vertically.

Set report properties as follows:

    Width:                                        8.5 (portrait)    11
(landscape)
    Height:                                       11 (portrait)    8.5
(landscape)

    Design in Character Units: Yes

    Report Width:                            102 (portrait)    132
(landscape)
    Report Height:                            66 (portrait)        51
(landscape)

With a Layout editor open, select Format / Layout Options / Rulers. Make the following ruler settings:

    Units:                                            Character Cells
    Horizontal Size:                            6
    Vertical Size:                               12.0031
    Grid Spacing:                                1
    Number of Snap Points:               1

Set the DESFORMAT system parameter to the name of an appropriate printer control file that will be found in your ora \ REPORT30 \ PRINTERS folder.

If doing landscape, set the ORIENTATION system parameter to LANDSCAPE.

If anyone else out there has any suggestions, I am also very interested in hearing.
-- Shawn