Newbie question: Forms 5.0 Web functionality

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: 1998/10/19

Hello, all,

     Can someone give me some feedback regarding the functionality of Oracle Forms which are deployed as Web applications using the Forms client applet included with Developer Server? Specifically, is it possible to access system resources (client or server) using, for example, the TEXT_IO package, and if so, what has to be done to comply with Java security? How does one enable printing? Assuming one can create files and/or print with a Web application, will this type of activity happen at the client machine or the server machine (or is it programmable)? I've read messages on this newsgroup concerning printing from the Forms client java applet and the need for "signing" the applet and enabling the printing privilege. Am I correct in assuming that the Oracle Forms client applet is digitally signed? If so, is there a signature file somewhere (that has to reside on the client machines?)? I am clearly a newbie to Oracle Web applications and Java security and would appreciate very much if somebody could elaborate on these issues and explain in more detail what is involved? Alternatively, can somebody suggest where I can read up on this material myself? Thanks in advance.

Cary