Re: RAID

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/10/09

On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 21:03:21 -0600, Brian Yan <by2_at_gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

>1). Does the 'different disks' here mean the different PHYSICAL disks?
>or just different logical volumes? Our company's old database put
>different database file in different logical volumes (not necessarily
>the different physical disks), I am wondering if that violates the OFA
>rules?

Usually you want different physical disks. Many people seperate index and data tablespaces so that reading the index doesn't disrupt the drive that's reading the data.

There are also some files that you want seperate in order to be able to recover from a crash or media failure. Redo log files are a good example. They should not be on a drive with any data. If you lose just the redo logs, you are ok. If you lose just the data, you are ok (in archive log mode). Lose both and you could be in trouble.

I can't speak to your RAID question.

Jonathan Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message