Re: Oracle Web Application Server v3

From: <dhollida_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:36:24 GMT

Oracle WAS 3.0 has build in security features that only allow people to connect if they know the VIRTUAL host names you want them to know. This allows you to connect over the internet without specifying the actual host name of the server.

On the Oracle Web Listener Administration page there is a section labeled Addresses and Ports. In this section there is a table with columns for:

      Proxy ON/OFF
      Address
      Port
      Security
      Host Name
      Base Directory
      Log Info Directory
      Authentication
      Certificate Label

You can only connect if your URL specifies a Host Name listed in this table. That means your naming services etc. must be setup to route to the host names listed in this table.

When you install WAS 3.0.x on NT4.0 by default it installs one Host Name, the actual IP domain name of the host box. After installation you can set up this table to allow connections using any host names, but you must configure your network to correctly route packets for each listed host name.

So, if you installed WAS 3.0.x on an NT4.0 box called mybox.mygroup.mycompany, and that is the only Host Name listed, you must specify this as the host when you connect.

I think I'm repeating myself so I'll stop here.

Don Holliday