Using oracle server installation as a client...

From: Jeremy <jpburton_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: 1998/09/29

Hi All,

        Due to hardware availability, our setup involves running the Oracle 8 server on an Intel platform (we are using the Solaris x86 to be more precise). We do, however, need to connect to this from a Solaris Sparc platform. After having spoken to Oracle about this, they advised that to do this, we would need the Sparc server software, and to install this but not use it as a server (the server on the Intel box is running fine - have connected to it locally via tcp/ip and from an NT box using tcp/ip). My problem is that I can't get the connections working from the Sparc box. I ahve configured the tnsnames.ora file, and added the correct entry for the Intel box. I can use tnsping and get a ping. However whenever I try and connect to it using either the DBD mobule in perl, or even sqlplus, I have troubles. sqlplus just sits there doign nothign -not even prompting me for a password, whilst using the DBD interface in perl I get an error message: ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator

Anyone got any ideas as to hwo I might be able to get this working??

Thanks,

Jeremy Burton Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message