Re: forms 5 .. master ---detail help needed

From: Joe Brown <joebrownNO_SPAM_me_very_MUCH_at_leading.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:33:48 GMT

I assume you're looking for a many to many type of relationship.

Forms does not support this type of relationship, however it can be done a couple of different ways, depending on the relationships.

One method is to add a couple of non database fields to the master table, and popluate the fields during a post-query trigger. This method can be quite ugly, and updating the child tables can be more trouble than it's worth.

If the child tables contain two columns each (primary key and datavalues), then a listbox may be an ideal solution.

By populating a listbox with the primary keys as the value, and the datavalue displayed, you can mimic many to many relationships nicely.

To my knowledge, there is no simple/clean cut solution to the problem at hand.

e-mail me: mailto:joebrown_at_leading.net for more info.

mdesouza_at_YAHOO.COM wrote:

> Hi
>
> Got a small problem .. any help would be appreciated
>
> I have got 3 tables
>
> Table 1
> Table 2
> Table 3
>
> All the tables are joined .. using master -detail relations
>
> the problem is..
>
> I have displayed 6 record of table1 , 6 record of table 2 and 6 record of
> table 3
>
> But when I execute query I get all the 6 records in table 1 but only 1 record
> in table 2 and 1 record in table 3
>
> Now how do I get so that all the record are displayed in table 2 and table 3
>
> Do I have have to write some more code for the on-populate-details trigger
> If so, how
>
> any help would be appreciated
>
> The first thing I tried was create a view, but I need to give the user the
> facility to edit a column and then save these changes but dont thing I can do
> this in a view. Help
>

> regards
>
> michael dsouza

joebrown