Re: need help about SQL*Loader

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:58:17 +0200

Stephane GAUDRY wrote
> Is it an only interactive tool or can we use it in a
> stored procedure

You can only run it from the command line. It is not necessarily interactive though. You can specify all parameters on the command line or in the SQL*Loader control script. Examples are certainly to be found in your docs.

Oracle does not have functions to start any system command at all, so you can not start SQL*Loader from a stored procedure either. If you really need to do it, you need to write a daemon in for example C and use the dbms_pipe package to communicate from your stored procedure to that daemon. That daemon could do anything you want.

If the text file is easy to process, you could use the standard package utl_file to read it in yourself.

> where i can get help or documentation about it

So, search for either the package dbms_pipe or utl_file.

Arjan. Received on Mon Sep 28 1998 - 17:58:17 CEST

Original text of this message