Re: Web Development Tool Advice

From: D <MFC_at_well.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:06:47 GMT

we are having a similar problem. I'm developing a forms 4.5 application (soon to be forms 5.0 when Oracle ships it) for the purposes of a meeting room booking system. Currently phase 1 calls for this to be made available to Facilities management staff (approx 5) on the intranet.

In this situation, the applet viewer route is ok, but not perfect. However we eventually want to role this out to Intranet users across the company. This means anyone who want's to use this will have to download an 8Mb plugin (once) and a 450k applet (everytime). If I try to do this I'll be looking for a new job sharpish.

So like you, the applet viewer route is out of the question. We spoke to Oracle UK staff about this, and they shared our concerns. Their suggestions was to reverse engineer the whole thing into designer, and regenerate it into a pl/sql cartridge. At present time I know nowt about this, but have been assured of two things:

  1. We will be taking some Oracle consultancy to do this
  2. It is in the words of an Oracle consultant "a five minute job"

call me a cynic but....

other possible routes are :
JDeveloper v1
Web Alchemy

sorry I can't be of more help, but I've only been doing Oracle applications for 2 months. Trouble is bosses here think that 2 weeks courses make you n expert. - I wish!