Re: Creating ASCII delimited files

From: Tina Stromme <tina.stromme_at_iaha.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:29:56 GMT

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 09:57:56 -0700, "Joe Humphreys" <jhum_at_who.net> wrote:

>I'm using SQL*PLUS commands and spooling the data to create an ASCII file.
>The data comes into the file fixed format. How can I get it to come in
>delimited (commas or tabs)?

Hi,

you need to 1. set up your environment and 2.specify that you want commas in the file; ie,

select column1||','||column2||','||column3 etc

which basically concatenates your columns with commas inbetween. when you set up the environment, make sure to set your pagesize accordingly--the following is what I typically use for creating an ascii file:

set echo off
set pagesize 1500
set linesize 132
set termout off
set heading off
set feedback off
spool c:\pathand filename
select statement with concatenated commas as above spool off
set termount on

Hope that helps a bit.
Tina S. Received on Thu Sep 10 1998 - 23:29:56 CEST

Original text of this message