source control for database, dev2k, des2k

From: (wrong string) éphane Parenteau <stephane.parenteau_at_capitale.qc.ca>
Date: 5 Sep 1998 20:24:04 GMT

hi,

my environment is developer and designer 2000 v2.1 on windows and oracle 8.0.4 on sun solaris.

we are at the end of a big application development:

  250 forms, library and reports
  285 d.b. package
  723 d.b. trigger
  310 tables
  162 sequences
  400 end users throughout the country

at the beginning of the project, we generate all forms with designer 1.0. after, we modify forms with developer 2000 to put our standard that we can't implement in the template, put complex validation, eliminate roundtrip, ...
these forms are not maintain in designer 2000 repository. we modify all other objects (package, triggers, tables, ... ) and documentation
in designer 2000.

during the development, we manage different phase of development (development, testing, end user education, pre-production) and the graduation
was from one phase to another for all the application (i.e. without parallel
modification to maintain).

so, about 5 programmers will maintain program via designer 2000, forms builder, reports builder, developer editor (ultraedit) for .sql, csh.
some other programmers will work to add biggest enhance to the application.

we don't have any tools to manage source control...you see the portrait with parallel modification that we don't put in production in the same time !!!

my question are:

do you have any experience with a source control program to manage this kind of team ?

i think pvcs from intersolv is an industry standard, what you think about this ?

or is it better to manage this from an home made application ?

thanks a lot.

stephane.parenteau_at_capitale.qc.ca Received on Sat Sep 05 1998 - 22:24:04 CEST

Original text of this message