Re: Comparsion

From: <thomas_mahler_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 08:40:16 GMT

In article <01bdd568$2d9cae80$70714598_at_chiawen.tw.oracle.com>,   "CW Yang" <cwyang_at_tw.oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Does any one know the differences between OAS and Microsoft IIS?
> What's the strength in developing Web application by using ASP+ADO?
> Does OAS has solution against ASP? Which product is better in developing
> web application?
>
> TIA.
>
> CW

Yang,

I don't know OAS well but I can say something about ASP+ADO ASP is quite a good scripting environment for IIS. Main advantage: you can include ANY Serverside DLL's that provide a COM (ActiveX) Interface. With this keyfeature one can build up very powerful, webbased applications that are not that easy to program with the Netscape server!!! ADO is a high-level encapsulation of ODBC calls which provides all necessary features for high-performance ODBC applications (prepared statements, parameter arrays ...). As ADO is shipped with IIS it's quite straightforward to use it with IIS Application. Performance is very good.

For Oracle you might use OO4O (Oracle Objects for OLE) which allows you to perform Oracle calls via COM Objects. This would also be a very natural way of using IIS with an Oracle DB. Since ADO is not especially tuned for Oracle performance depends mostly on your ODBC driver. So you will need a bit of tuning here and there. I don't know whether OO4O is really faster than ADO with a good ODBC Driver.

regards,

Thomas