Re: Oracle vs Access

From: Paolo F. Cantoni <pcantoni_at_semantica.com.au>
Date: 1998/08/18

Hi,

LMLinson wrote in message
<1998081121424000.RAA07022_at_ladder03.news.aol.com>...
>In article <35CFF981.4E18_at_hospvd.ch>, Emmanuel Baechler
 <ebaechle_at_hospvd.ch>
>writes:
>
> > All the people who tried to build large information systems
> > with ACCESS here failed miserably.
>
>You failed to mention that they also failed to do their homework first.
 Anyone
>who launches off building a "large information system" without
 understanding
>the limitation of their tools should not be in the business of building
 large
>information systems (to put it charitably). As one of my former colleagues
 at
>the company from which I retired so succinctly put it, "You've gotta know
 what
>you're doing."

OK, here's someone trying to do some homework. :-)

We have a Human Resources Database which also handles Organisational Structure among multiple Business Entities if required. It is currently written in Microsoft Access and has separate Application Database and Data Database. The data is fully normalised and consists of over 130 tables. The database works fine with the small number of concurrent users it currently has, but a client wants to move it to Oracle (back end) as that is their corporate-wide database. They want to make the "public" data in the HR DB generally available. Are there any information sources, white papers etc on how to do this?

The database design makes _extensive_ use of referential and semantic integrity to ensure high quality data (and, in fact, has been used to consistency check the operational application from which we import data).

We have large numbers of queries (both for look-up and processing).

We haven't implemented security in the past (because the application was HR internal).

Any pointers (and success stories from the front line) appreciated.

Thanx in Advanz

Regardz, Paolo F. Cantoni Tel: +61-2-9498 5945   Director Fax: +61-2-9418 4402
  -Semantica- Cell: +61-416 11 00 95
Suite 2, Charing House EMail: pcantoni_at_semantica.com.au 45 Kendall Street Web: http://www.semantica.com.au Pymble NSW 2073 AUSTRALIA

"Many problems turn out to be caused by invalid concepts. Conceptual Modelling provides techniques for solving them..."

-Semantica- can help your organisation understand itself better and thus operate more effectively and efficiently... Received on Tue Aug 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message