Re: Reports Designer 2.5 question

From: Richard Woest <r.a.woest_at_kpn-telecom.nl>
Date: 14 Aug 1998 14:10:40 GMT

Hello Belakimem

I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

> My first experiment is with a table with the following columns :
>
> CUSTOMER, PERIOD, PRODUCT, REGION, SALES, YEAR
>
> I managed to create a master detail report with customer as the first
break,
> followed by year and then the rest of the data as detail. The report is
> getting the data out but not in the format I want it. I discovered
confine and
> flex (but don't really fully understand what they do properly), but every
time
> I modify the layout significantly I get errors such as : REP-1305:
Warning:
> Frame '<frame name>' intersects but does not enclose object '<object
name>'.

> ** Question 2 : This frame stuff is confusing me a lot, are there any web
based
> resources which might explain modifying report layouts /reports in
general in
> better detail than the online help?

Well normally you can't resize a frame that is inside another frame. First you would have to resize the outer frame and then resize inner frame. (You'll notice that the inner frame won't go any further then against the outer frame).
Well with flex on you can resize the inner frame. Designer automatically resizes the outer frames too.

With confine off you can't move an object outside of it's surrounding frame.
With confine on you can move it outside it's frame.

With both options on you can move everything you want. BUT! moving objects out of it's frame (especially repeating frames) can cause errors like: ... was called at wrong sequency.
Notice that the items within a (datamodel)group maintain within the frame that belongs to the (datamodel) group.

The errormessage you're getting simply means that a frame is drawn against or over an 'outer' frame. Don't lett a frame cross another frame or even touch it.
Also don't let objects touch over cross the frames.

If you'll manage that the message will probably dissapear (NOte it's a bit difficult to explain. Just keep trying :-) )

I don't know a good website..

> Eventually I want my report to look something like
>
> Customer : x
> Year : y
>
> YTD_Sales Product Region Period Sales
> 300 ABC East 6 120
> 300 ABC East 7 150
> .
> .
> .
>
> Total for year y : 3456
> Total for customer x : 5678
>

> Now based on experience with other less sophisticated tools I think that
YTD
> sales may be a problem because you don't know what they are until you get
> the last row for a particular customer,year,product combination.
>
> ** Question 3 : Is there an easy way to achieve something like this in
Oracle?
it's not that difficult but I am not really sure what you actually want with the totals
Total per year for a customer
Total per year for all customers
total per customer for all years

If you email me about that I will give you the hints...

> ** Question 4 : Is this the best newsgroup for questions like this? Do
Oracle
> provide a free newsgroup server like Microsoft do, if so is it any good?

????

> Thanks for your patience; I will be back soon!

Your welcome

with regards,
richard Received on Fri Aug 14 1998 - 16:10:40 CEST

Original text of this message